Search This Blog

Friday, October 20, 2017

Review: Star Trek: Discovery: Desperate Hours

Star Trek: Discovery: Desperate Hours Star Trek: Discovery: Desperate Hours by David Mack
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Star Trek: Discovery: Desperate Hours is my first entry into the Star Trek: Discovery world. I was not thrilled with the concept and have steered clear of the actual television show. However, I was excited to see that David Mack wrote the introductory novel. I had confidence that he could mesh this series into the already well-established era of the Star Trek Universe.

This novel did not disappoint. At its core, it was Star Trek. It contained the overall goal of striving for good that is essential to be considered Star Trek. It also contained an amazing focus on the characters and a dynamic plot.

The book started off a little slow, or confusing, as I tried to orient myself to new characters. While they were described, it still seemed like I was expected to already know them. By the end of the novel, I knew them quite well. The writing was superb, not once did I stop and question the use of word choice or flow of the story.

I also listened to this book in audio. I quite enjoyed the narration. I prefer audio narrators that make you forget they are there so that you focus exclusively on the story. Susan Eisenberg did an amazing job at this.

I am still not sure about the vision for the new TV series of Discovery, but if the novels continue in this fashion I will keep current in reading them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment