Search This Blog

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

by Christopher McDougall


Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Book Length: 287 pages
Genre: Non-fiction, Sports, Fitness, Running, Adventure

I hate running. I have hated running my entire life. Now I think that I may have just been doing it wrong. I have a sudden urge to go spend the next six hours running. Unfortunately, my parental responsibilities preclude me from having that time. That being said, McDougall has given me an appreciation for the art of running that I have never had before.

One of the reasons I like picking a reading project, such as tackling the Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime, is because I end up picking up books that I would have never read. I end up finding books that I would never have thought I could love. This is one of those books.

Born to Run is not about how to run. It is about the history of running presented alongside the history of human evolution. It is about different cultures such as the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. However, what this book is mostly about is people. The best part of the book is how McDougall describes the people that you encounter on his journey to learn how to run. They are colorful and real. You could meet them in real life for the first time and feel like you already know them. It takes a talented writer to make people so alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment