Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2017

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl

by Gillian Flynn


Rating: ** (2 stars)
Genre: thriller, fiction, mystery

The honest truth is that Gone Girl is a very forgettable book. I am trying to catch up on my reviews of books on Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime. Gone Girl was one of my most recent books I finished and to be honest I had to go refresh myself about what is the twist ending.

I remember the characters. I remember hating the characters and wondering how to despicable people ever ended up marrying. I also remember the writing being engaging. I read it over a few day period - although that is not abnormal for me. What is abnormal is completely forgetting how the book ended.

I admit I did an internet search to refresh myself on the ending. Then it all came flooding back. Maybe it is not that the ending is forgettable as much as I chose to forget. I mean it is about as screwed up as you can imagine. I remember finishing the book and waiting the next day to talk to a coworker who had seen the movie. I just stared at her. She shook her head and said, "I know."

It is a brilliantly written book with a fairly consistent plot. It took a lot of talent to write. It took a lot of talent to create such deplorable people. Yet, the book itself is screwed up on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment