Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Sami the Magic Bear: No to Bullying! by Murielle Bourton

(Note: I was asked to honestly review two books for this author. Since publishing an honest review on the first book the author has claimed that I did not read her books and that I am unable to read. I would highly suggest that if you are approached by this author to review her books that you politely decline. If she does not agree with your reviews then she will be vindictive. She has posted poorly written and insulting comments to multiple places. However, since I agreed to honestly review her books I am still posting this review. I do find it ironic that I am reviewing a book on bullying knowing that by doing so I will soon be bullied by the author.)

Sami the Magic Bear: No to Bullying!

by. Murielle Bourton


Rating: *** (3 stars)
Book Length: 30 pages
Genre: Children, Picture Book, Bullying

Bullying is a topic that is extremely important to me. I had a child that was bullied to the point that she tried to commit suicide. It is an extremely important topic and one that needs to be addressed. However, I do not think that this book does a good job of discussing the topic. My concern is that while the book starts to show the extreme impact of bullying, such as being physically hurt as well as the mental anguish, it then teaches children that they should not discuss it with their parents and that it will magically right itself.

The graphics of the novel are the obvious strength. I really enjoy the bright and visual pictures. The concept of the book is also great. They have such promise to be great children's books capable of helping children through extreme and difficult problems. However, they fall short of this goal. Before writing these reviews I discussed the book with several other adults. The general consensus was that the topics were extremely sensitive and were not handled with enough care. It was concluded that she probably did not have the experience with the effects of such situations on children. I honestly, do not know if this is the case. However, since having further interactions with the author I am convinced she is not someone I would want teaching my children about bullying.

The books have promise. The graphics are great and the topics are very important. However, the execution fell short. Since my interaction with the author, I would not recommend them based solely that they were written by a person who engages in cyber bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment