Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Interpreter of Maladies

by Jhumpa Lahiri


Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Book Length: 209 pages
Genre: Indian Fiction, Fiction, Litterature, Short Stories

Interpreter of Maladies is a collection of short stories written by Jhumpa Lahiri. All the stories feature Indian characters. Most stories also include the complex dynamics between Indian culture and American culture. Although some stories are placed directly in India and focus more on the complexity within the Indian culture.

Lahiri's novel was a fascinating read. Each story was unique and beautifully written. I was captured from the beginning to the end. The characters were so well defined that I was able to not only picture them but to live behind their eyes. I felt the longing for a country that I have never even seen. I felt appreciation for community and togetherness that, as the author also illustrated, just doesn't exist in America. I also witnessed how two people who never met fell in love while another couple walked away from everything.

My favorite aspect of the book is the diversity of the stories and characters. Each story is unique and every character has their own story and personality. Everytime a story ended I was reluctant to leave their lives. I highly recommend that you pick this book up!


No comments:

Post a Comment