Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Ready Player One by Ernest Cine

Ready Player One

by Ernest Cline


Review: ***** (5 stars)
Book Length: 386 pages
Genre: Science Fiction

Most new Science Fiction hasn't made it into the long list of sci-fi greats. I mean there are a lot of really great science fiction authors, and science fiction readers are very passionate about them. You can even see that in this book. The main character -Wade- names his spaceship Vonnegut after one of the greats. Seeing a book that was published in 2016 on all of the great lists (well those published or modified after it's release) took me by surprise. I, of course, had to read it. I am extremely glad that I did.

Ready Player One was a nice engaging read. The book was fun, it captured my attention and pulled me in. It pulled me in so much I decided that reading was a lot more important than sleep. I finished close to one this morning. Since I wake up at five you can see my addiction to finishing this novel.

This novel is a cult classic celebrating cult classics. It is dedicated to all things 80s specifically arcade games. Can you remember your first video game? I can, it was a brand new Nintendo console where I played Mario Brothers and shot birds on Duck Hunt. Soon after I also got a Genesis (like an Atari) and played some of the classics.

Those games are nothing like the video games that we have now. I mean compare them to Pokemon Go or World of Warcraft. Yet, they will forever live in the hearts of gamers everywhere. If you can relate to what I am saying then go right now and get this book. You will absolutely love it!

If not then you may still love it. The writing is good, the plot flows well, and the characters are engaging. It is fascinating and extremely relevant to think about the world where we have developed a virtual reality. This book adds to that nitch in a fun and new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment