Search This Blog

Friday, December 30, 2016

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars

by John Green


Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Book Length: 337 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Romance

I tend to stay away from young adult novels. When it is a young adult romance novel I really want to run far away. What do teenagers truly know about love? They think they know a lot. Yet, what I have learned in my age is that no one really knows anything about love.

This is my excuse for why it took me so long to read The Fault in Our Stars despite everyone talking about the book. Although, maybe everyone talking about the book is another reason that I stayed far away. I regret taking so long to read it.

This is a young adult novel. It is a romance. Yet it is not a traditional young adult romance novel. One reason is that the main characters are both dying. When you have already had to face your own mortality then you have a maturity that goes beyond traditional young adulthood. This is cliche because it is true.

What I love most about this book are the characters. They are quirky. They are obsessed about a book that has no ending written by a complete jerk. They intertwine cancer with teenage rebellion. Then they dash off to Austria and kiss in the house of Anne Frank.

The entire novel is a bit quirky. Yet the ending is heartbreaking. The story was powerfully told. I have come to respect John Green's writing and will continue to read his books, even though they continue to be young adult fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment